Kelton & Teichner - family law
Brand Shadow
Toll Free:
Positive Results With a Personal Touch
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Modification

Need To Modify A Divorce Agreement?

The court does not view child custody, child support and maintenance agreements as permanent, and neither should you. Circumstances change, especially if you have young children. As they grow up, their needs will change. Agreements may need to be modified accordingly.

If you are considering making changes to agreements that came out of your divorce or out of a paternity action, talk to us. At Kelton & Teichner, our experienced family law attorneys help people in Queens, Long Island and throughout New York determine when changes are possible. We work to complete modifications efficiently so you can move forward with your life.

When To Change Child Custody And Visitation Arrangements

Child custody modification may be necessary if your schedule or the other parent’s schedule has changed dramatically. For example, perhaps you got a new job that requires you to work a different shift. You may want to alter your parenting time schedule to ensure that you maximize the time with your child, rather than simply having your child at your house while you are at work. Additionally, changes may be needed based on the child’s needs.

Relocation also requires modification.

When To Change Child Support Payments

Child support modification is often driven by income changes. You may seek a change because you lost your job or you have taken a new job that offers a substantially decreased paycheck. You simply are no longer able to make the same child support payments. On the other hand, if you are receiving child support payments, you may want to make changes if the child’s other parent has experienced a pay increase. Children should benefit from wage increases.

When To Change Spousal Support Payments

Like child support, modifications of spousal support are often based on changes in income. However, they may also be necessary in the event of remarriage or another life change.

Call For A Free Phone Consultation About Modifications

Call our lawyers at 800-419-7751 or send us an email. We speak fluent Spanish, we provide free initial telephone consultations, promptly return phone calls, accept credit cards, offer flexible fee schedules, and are very accessible via bus or subway.